There are a lot of mom bloggers out there. So many things gear to the stay-at-home mom or working mom. While I do have the utmost respect for the moms out there, what is the harm in choosing to be child-free? I made that choice a long time ago. And I’ve taken flack for it too! Why is it so hard for some people to understand that there are some like us out there? What is wrong with making that choice? Absolutely nothing. Also, it’s not really anyone’s business to question that choice. That’s exactly why I felt the need to write about it.
This, as well as all posts, may contain affiliate links. This means if you click through and make a purchase I will earn a slight commission at no additional cost to you. To read more about what I will and won’t promote, check my disclosure page here.
First of all, how do you know I made the choice? How do you know I didn’t try and fail? How do you know I didn’t lose a child? While none of those apply to me, it’s still not ok to stick your nose in other people’s personal business! When did that become ok? I knew from quite a young age that having kids didn’t really appeal to me. When my mom would repeatedly ask “when am I getting a grandchild?”, I simply reminded her to discuss that with my brother. (Thank goodness he answered that one for her 16 years ago!) She finally realized somewhere in my 20s she wasn’t going to get any from me, so thankfully she gave that question up. I didn’t have to constantly remind her that I was making the choice to be child-free!
Maybe it was years of bad babysitting or being spoiled as an “only child”. I just knew that I had no interest in becoming a mom. Even when I got into my later years, I still didn’t have interest. As I started dating I was constantly asked how many kids I wanted. My answer to that was most often the cue to whether or not that relationship was going any further. Still, I’d get questioned by my family and friends. “When are you having kids?” Why don’t you want any kids?” Ugh… why was child-free so frowned upon?
Fast forward through several failed relationships, and yes, even a couple of them had children already. My husband has a daughter, and I’m so fortunate that she is a wonderful child. No, she doesn’t live with us full time, but when she’s visiting, it’s fantastic. And now instead of asking when I’m having them, I get the “why don’t you have any children?” question. Ok again, why is this any of your business, especially when you don’t know me that well? I’ve had strangers ask me at parties, and it really drives me crazy! I chose this lifestyle because I could! And I really get miffed when people make assumptions that I’m not worthy because I’m living child-free! Instead of lashing out, I generally just respond with “I do have children, they just have 4 legs instead of 2”.
Thursday is upon us again. I like to do my weekly thoughts, and share them here. This week is a pretty rough one all around. I will absolutely not get political on here, but my Social Media feeds have been going crazy. Is anyone else feeling like they just want to shut off the world of Facebook for a while? I know I sure am.
This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy here.
Yes, it’s finally over. We all watched for so long to see what was going to occur. And yes, I see the outcome has people feeling all kinds of emotions. I hate to see our country SO divided like this! There are so many terrible memes running around, and I’ve literally watched fights break out in my friends posts online. That is truly sad, and shows what an awful state we are in. Never in my life have I seen such divide around election time… It’s truly frightening, and sad. I won’t say much more on the subject here, but it is truly weighing on my mind on this Thursday.
Check out this book!
I posted a while back about this 30 Day Challenge a friend of mine was hosting. It started on November 1st, and I’m currently rolling with it. Check out the full post here. So far I’ve unloaded so many pieces of clothing, as well as some cosmetics and more. During this, I stumbled upon a Facebook Group, The Minimalist Life and I’ve really found some great posts. There are some that go way above what I’m planning, but I’ve gotten so many good ideas on things to get rid of and how to go about it. (I’ve even sold a few things on Facebook Yard Sale sites, yes they DO work!) If you are even remotely curious, check out that group, and look at the vast selection of books out there as well. I got the one pictured here and fell in love! It’s a small, easy to read book, and I can’t wait to read more of her stuff.
Here in North Georgia, we haven’t had rain in…. so long I can’t recall. And now we have fires burning a bit north of us, and in North Carolina. It’s a bit scary to wonder if they will continue to burn, and when we might get some rain! The winds have moved the haze and smell south, so it’s odd to look at. But it smells like a camp fire burning! It’s really quite neat. How’s the weather in your area?
So what other Thursday thoughts are floating around in your minds this week? I’d love to hear, comment below or hit me up on social media!
Date nights are fun, right? With all the working, cooking, housekeeping, and fixing things, it’s nice to just let it all go for a night. However, as we all know, it can get expensive. Even those of us without children have our expenses too. From car payments to utility bills and mortgages, we all have things we pay for. Why not still enjoy date night, but on a budget, or even better, FREE! There are lots of things you can do around town, or even in your own home that still count. I’m going to share some ideas for some low cost, even free things that will still feel like a nice night with your loved one.
This post may contain affiliate links. Read my full disclosure policy here.
FREE Date Ideas:
- Make a nice dinner… TOGETHER. Get both of you involved in preparing some delicious meal together, and you will be amazed at how it brings you together. Then sit by a nice candle lit table and enjoy with a glass of wine.
- Go for a walk. Getting outside together and enjoying the sun or breeze is a great way to enjoy each other. And it’s free! Even watching the stars together can be a wonderful way to spend an evening.
- Clear off that DVR! How many things are recorded on there that you just haven’t seemed to watch yet? Catch up on all your recordings, while snuggled up in your PJs. It’s like a Netflix marathon, minus the Netflix!
- Give each other a massage. Hey, you don’t have to be a licensed masseuse to do so, just do what you’re good at. Maybe it’s a foot rub, a back rub, etc. It’ll be a nice way to help each other unwind and relax.
- Soak in a hot bath together. Not all of us are fortunate to have a hot tub at home, (although it is on our list to upgrade in the near future). Break out that wine again, draw a hot bath, add some bubbles to it, and relax.
Inexpensive Date Night Ideas:
- Rent a movie and lay out a blanket on the floor. Red Box is always a cheap option, or maybe you pay for premium cable. (We do not, we semi cut the cord, and are working on going all the way with it) Have a little movie night indoor picnic.
- Go out for ice cream. Save on dinner by cooking at home, then splurge a little on dessert. If you’re lucky, there’s a nice little local place around, or you can even hit up a Dairy Queen if that’s all you have around. Get a small cone, and you won’t spend too much!
- Hit up your local farmer’s market. It’ll be nice to have local fresh ingredients when you go to do the at home cooking date!
- Head to the local thrift store. You never know what kinds of goodies you can find there! Maybe something you’ve been wanting to add to the home decor. Maybe you will find a fantastic new outfit to wear next time you splurge on date night!
- Go out to support your local high school. Check out a football game, choir concert, band concert, or even play. Some of those are free I’m sure, but even if there is a charge, it’ll be a small one, plus you’ll be supporting your local community.
There are so many things you can do for free or not a lot of cash and still enjoy quality time with your significant other. It doesn’t always have to be expensive dinners and fancy things. It’s about being together and having quality time, right? What are some of your other date night ideas on the cheap? I’d love to hear some!