It is that time of year, isn’t it? Winter has finally arrived, and I’m not loving it. Sure, I am not getting socked like those up in the North East, but still, I’m not pleased. Here in the mountains of Northern Georgia, we spent most of this winter with very mild temps. It was even in the 70’s on Christmas this past year! After a very mild January and February, I was pretty certain we were in the clear. Obviously, that is not what turned out to be correct. Knowing that I certainly don’t have it as bad as all you North East living folks, I thought it would be a good time to share some of the things that help get through those winter months of “blah-dom”. I grew up in Northeast Ohio, so I know my share of snowed in life, don’t you worry!
This post may contain affiliate links. If you click through and make a purchase I could receive a small commission at no additional charge to you. You can read my disclosure statement here.
There are plenty of things you can do when it’s winter and even some that might carry into spring and summer! Here are a few ideas to get you started.
Start some hobbies:
Have you ever thought of trying some new things that you’ve just never got around to? Why not dive in when you are stuck inside and freezing?
- Start a blog – A blog can be a great hobby, just for fun, or sometimes even to make a little extra income on the side. Either way, it’s great to keep your mind busy and work on your writing skills. A great perk of blogging is meeting so many new friends. The blogging community is full of wonderful people who love to chat and share tips and tricks. Check out Michelle’s post on how to start a blog here, She actually makes over 100K a month blogging! So there is good info on turning your hobby into something more!
- Learn to knit/crochet – Believe it or not, those things are not just for little old ladies anymore! There are tons of people out there making very cool things. And yep, you guessed it, you might even be able to make some extra money selling your handmade goods on Etsy, or something like that!
- Start a journal – Even if you don’t feel like putting your words out on the big ol’ web, just start writing them down for yourself. It’s really quite fun to start, even if you don’t know what to write about at first. There are plenty of prompts to get you going, check out this post for some great prompts. Once you get on a roll, it’ll almost become habit instantly. There are some really nice journals out there, or you can simply grab a plain notebook from the dollar store!
- WORK OUT – It seems like winter is the time when we all slack off a bit on our workouts. Is it because we aren’t outside as much? Or is it because we are eating too much comfort food and we just aren’t as motivated as in the warmer months? Whatever the reason, it isn’t the time to do so! There are plenty of exercises we can do right from the comfort of our homes. Even without equipment! Personally one of my favorites is yoga. It’s a wonderful stretch, as well as strength building activity that not only works your body but also your mind.
- Color! – Believe it or not, there is a big push for adult coloring books lately. There are so many great ones out there with very intricate designs that will really keep you busy. Not only that, it can totally relax your mind! Amazon has a great selection of them here! You can also try your local hobby stores, although I’m not sure there will be more variety there. I have fallen in love with coloring lately, such a great stress reliever.
Read some books:
I love to read so much, and there are some great books out there. Some you might have heard of, yet some you may not be familiar with. But why not check out some of these? Who knows? You might find some you really like!
- Settle For More by Megyn Kelly – I am loving this one. I have been a fan of hers for quite some time, and although she is no longer on Fox News, I still think she’s an inspiration in so many ways. She talks about her rise up through struggles, even mentioning her time asking questions during the debate. Definitely a great, inspiring read!
- You are a Badass by Jen Sincero – Who doesn’t want a little pep talk from time to time? I love the bluntness in this book and the way she words things. A great read for anyone who might be looking for some motivation to go bigger in life! Certainly great for the entrepreneurs out there too!
- The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo – Minimalism seems to be a hot topic these days. While I’m fully devoted to it, I did enjoy this little nugget of wisdom. It’s the Japanese art of decluttering and I think it has some very good tips and tricks to live by. Definitely worth a read, and it’s quite an easy one as well.
- The Life-Change Magic of Not Giving a F*ck by Sarah Knight – Yes, this is a “parody” of the prior book, and if you are in anyway offended by the “F” word, it is not for you. I do like the meaning behind it, though! Like the title says: “Stop spending time you don’t have with people you don’t like doing things you don’t want to.” That was the kicker for me! We are all guilty of it I’m sure, but we don’t have to be. Get out there and own your life again.
- Aim True by Kathryn Budig – One of my favorite yogis, Kathryn Budig has written this great book. Not only does she share what it means to “aim true” but she shares recipes, self-help ideas, etc. I loved this one quite a bit, and she is certainly a great yogi to follow.
What other things do you like to do to beat the winter blahs??
I’d love to hear more suggestions on books or ideas that get you through these cold months! For now, I’ll grab my blanket, my laptop and my books and head to snuggle with my pups and my blanket to keep warm!